Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Keeping up with the Kids



My Dad always said "if you want to live long hang out with young folks, if you want to die young try to keep up with them". Our youngest came home from school at thanksgiving with the great idea of everyone running the Turkey Trot, a 5K run in York, Pa. This was out of the question for Rhoda and I, but Derrick & Rebecca, Michael & Rachael were all eager to start a new family tradition on Thanksgiving morning. We only missed Nathan who lives in Bangladesh. I was happy to take the photos and Rhoda became the coat lady.

Derrick arriving at Christmas time ambitiously wanted to take a bike ride. It was 30 degrees with gusting winds and even a few snow flurries. I like biking but this idea made me nervous. Not wanting to disappoint I dressed up as warm as I could we started out. As soon as I started out I realized that the winds were even stronger then I thought earlier so I thought we better ride into the wind as long as we can and then enjoy the winds to our back on the return. We rode into Landisville with a strong crosswind which was somewhat tedious but entirely manageable. We continued to enjoy the ride out past Spooky Nook into the country but then we turned left into the wind to cross over to Espenshade Road. The winds were so strong pedelling hard downhill I could manage 8 mph. That's when I started thinking about my Dad's quote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home